I’ve got tiny things on the brain lately. These tiny stuffies came out of some strange need to miniaturize everything. Usually I only show here what I consider the final version of something. But I thought it might be interesting to see what it looks like when I’m making and remaking things trying to get it just right.
The sharks are actually a mini version of a larger plush toy I make for Karen’s Monsters. But I wanted to see what it would look like tiny. Despite the fact that I’ve made hundreds (or thousands) of these, the blue one didn’t turn out as well as I’d hoped, but he has his own appeal. There’s something about the wabisabi that makes him loveable.
In this case, while I used the exact same pattern to make these, I think they look remarkably different. Just a few tweaks makes something that meets my weird standards of what it’s supposed to look like. My own vision of what it should look like sometimes gets in the way of what’s best though.
The blue-tailed mermaid was my first try. And while I think the green-tailed lady is better constructed, the first is actually the running favorite around here. I think I have a lesson to learn somewhere about not needing to be perfect and letting good enough be good enough.
Also how much fun are these wave props I made for the mermaids? And I definitely missed an opportunity to pose the shark monsters among them, with just the back fin showing.
My only requirement to make the ladies was that they had to be under 2-inches in any direction. I don’t know that I’ve ever made a plush toy this small before. It meant editing out a lot of details and trying to get just the pieces that would make it obvious what it was. Felt typically doesn’t show tiny details well (see almost invisible scales on the tails), so I didn’t want to depend on lots of subtly. Bright lips, shell bra, cascading hair, and tail. Boom. Mermaid.
Every year I make a series of ornaments that I mostly give away to friends and family. This year I made many more than I needed (weaving is a little addicting) and I’ve put some of them up in my etsy shop for sale. I would order soon to be sure they arrive before Christmas.
One of the things that I really enjoyed about making these weavings is how deceptively simple and rustic they are. They hang from twigs collected from my walks and include a piece of string to hang from a tree or the wall.
I’ve finally finished an advent calendar and just in time, too. I was sewing the hangers onto these ornaments last night. And finished photographing this today!
I love advent calendars and have since I was little. But I wanted one that I could use year after year without needing to purchase or make anything every year. I was inspired by this advent calendar from The Sugar House Shop (pattern available for purchase).
The reindeer head is a silhouette I liked the look of, found through a google search and modified slightly to fit. After sewing the whole head and antlers on by hand, I sewed in small brown seed beads to use as hangers for the ornaments.
The pockets are made from the same white felt as the background with numbers embroidered on to each pocket. I just took a water-dissolving pen and wrote numbers on each pocket space (before sewing it in place) and then embroidered (using a back stitch) the numbers.
The tiny felt ornaments are entirely hand-drawn patterns made to fit in the tiny pockets.
Here’s a list of plushies and felt ornaments that inspired these:
Bear & Owl
Vintage Glass Ornaments
Rudolph & Santa
I’m looking forward to putting up one ornament every day until Christmas, seeing the reindeer fill up with bright baubles.
‘Tis the season for making presents. I tried to get started early this year, because I always feel rushed the last few weeks before Christmas trying to get everything done. I’m not sure that I’ll be successful at keeping myself from getting stressed out or just put more expectations on myself. Time will tell. If there’s a secret to not getting stressed out at this time of year, I’m sure I haven’t discovered it. Luckily I get to spend a lot of time with people I care about and eat lots of delicious food, so it totally balances out.
I’ve been slowly working on these napkins for a few weeks now. I wanted the embroidery to be almost as pretty from the back as that front. You can’t hide the back on napkins the way you can on some other things. Plus I was worried about them going through the wash with all my stitches in tact, but joy of joys, these napkins survived a trip through my washing machine without issue. So slow careful stitching was the name of the game with these. I think the extra care really paid off though.
This is the basis for the pattern I used*. (Click on image to open and save.) I drew in crazy curved lines to fill in the heart instead of a more traditional satin stitch and I added initials to each of the hearts. I wish I’d made the letters slightly larger. I’m afraid there isn’t enough negative space in the letters to really understand what you’re looking at. But live and learn.
I’m hoping the recipient of these enjoys them. I know she uses cloth napkins every day, and I love having monogrammed napkins so that they don’t get mixed up between meals.
*I modified a free pattern from Flamingo Toes to make these.